A road safety policy for your school or centre
Below is a template road safety policy that schools, kindergartens and childcare centres can use and adapt according to your needs. It provides a basis on which you can build a range of road safety initiatives to help students and others in your community to be safe. Use our guide to teaching road safety to develop your initiatives.
OUR SCHOOL/CENTRE ROAD SAFETY POLICY
- The safety of our children will always come first. Our most important priority is to prevent the death or injury of a child while in our care.
- If out and about with students on foot, we will always prioritise walking safely, in line with the latest safety advice.
- If transporting students by vehicle, we will always prioritise doing so safely, in line with the latest safety advice.
- We will teach road safety within our learning time, integrating into project work in a range of curriculum lessons as well as teaching separately in safety and citizenship lessons, and reviewing the amount and quality annually.
- (For establishments with available safe road environments.) We will teach practical pedestrian and cycle training at the roadside in line with best practice advice.
- We will get involved in useful awareness-raising initiatives that promote road safety in our wider community, such as Brake's Road Safety Week and Beep Beep! Day as appropriate for the age-range of children, and initiatives by others as applicable.
- We will aim to improve the safety and environmental standards of transport to and from our premises by having a School Travel Plan that aims to reduce use of cars and improve the safety of children on foot or bikes and that we implement and update annually.
Sign up to get our email bulletins
Like us on Facebook